Wednesday, August 28, 2019

Where I'm From


I was inspired by a NPR Morning Edition segment of the same name. The audience was challenged to create a poem of home inspired by the five senses and Where I'm From a poem by Appalachian poet George Ella Lyon.

You can read or listen to a selection of the entries here: 
Where I'm From: A Crowdsourced Poem

I'm sharing my poem below.
 
Where I'm From

I am from pet dander and stale cigarettes
Tendrils of smoke billowing in the air

I am from hand-me-down clothes and Kmart shoes
Food baskets on holidays, making do, and doing without

I am from raised voices and hateful words
Trying to fly under the radar
Children should be seen and not heard


I am from mistakes I won’t repeat
I am not the same


2 comments:

  1. That’s a beautiful poem, Beulah.

    Glad to see your post, after a long time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you. I'm trying to make a better effort. I miss writing. xx

    ReplyDelete